Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook Error Resolved
June 21st, 2017 |
Outlook nowadays is one of the most popular email clients. Users like to work on Outlook because of its easy to use interface and versatility. It has some amazing set of features which due to which users opt for Outlook over many other email clients available. But along with its brilliant features, there might be some chances when it will show some error messages that reads Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. It creates some serious problem as then users are not able to access their Outlook. In this article, we will discuss some solutions to resolve this error.
Solutions to Fix Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook Error
Method 1: Launch Outlook in Safe-mode and Disable Add-ins
There occur a lot of scenarios when add-ins conflict with Outlook. Therefore, users can try to run MS Outlook in safe mode. This method helps as Outlook does not load add-ins if we start it in safe mode. By trying this method, users will be able to detect that main reason behind the error message.
Steps to Start MS Outlook in Safe Mode
- Click on Start and then hit Run.
- Type “Outlook/ safe” and then select OK.
- A dialog box naming Choose Profiles will appear: Select profile as Outlook (default) and then click OK.
- Enter password when it prompts and then click OK.
Steps to Disable Outlook Add-ins
- Open Outlook and then click on File. Select options and then Add-ins.
- After that, at the bottom section of View and Manage Office add-ins, check if the Manage box shows COM Add-ins and select Go.
- When COM Add-ins list of the current add-ins is displayed, users can select either of the preventive steps mentioned below:
- Capture a screenshot of the property sheet and then save the image to the desired location.
(ii) Take note of the title of each and every add-in displayed under Available add-ins.
- Once the titles of selected add-ins are recorded, uncheck the selected checkboxes and then click OK.
Note: In order to resolve cannot start Microsoft Outlook error, always keep in mind that you have to click on the checkbox to uncheck it. You just have to disable the add-in instead of deleting it. With ad
strator rights, selecting an add-in and clicking on Remove option will result in deleting the add-in.
1. Click on File and then click on Exit. After that, restart Outlook.
2. Click on Start and then select Run.
3. Now type Outlook in open box.
4. Click on File, then Options and then click on Add-ins.
5. Click on the checkbox associated to the add-in which is to be re-enabled again.
6. Now, Click OK.
7. Repeat these steps until all the Add-ins are re-enabled.
Method 2: Create a new Outlook Profile
If users are not able to run the recent version of Outlook, then another option is to create a new profile in Outlook.
To create a profile in Windows 10, 8, 7.
1. Click the Start button and search for Control Panel.
2. Select Mail tab.
3. When the Mail Setup – Outlook Window appears, click on Show Profiles and then select Add.
4. After that, in the appeared Profile Name box, enter the name of your new profile.
5. Next, under the Email Account column, fill all the essential details including Name, E-mail Address, Password and then select Next.
6. Click Finish to fix Cannot Start MS Outlook error.
Note: Users can view the newly added profile in the dialog box of mail under the general tab.
(i) Make sure that Prompt for a profile to be used is selected while starting Microsoft Outlook.
(ii) Finally, click OK to complete the procedure.
Method 3: Check if MS Outlook is started in Compatibility Mode
This option enables the program to run and function properly even on the older versions of Outlook. If MS Outlook runs in compatibility mode, then it needs to be turned off.
1. To find Outlook.exe on the computer, users can locate it as per the versions.
– In Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 14\
– In Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 15\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 15\
– In Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
2. Right click on the .exe file by locating the correct storage location based on the version of the MS Outlook. Click properties and then select the Compatibility tab.
3. Make sure that all the checkboxes that are available in Compatibility tab are unchecked. After ensuring, click Apply and then hit OK.
4. Finally, Restart Outlook.
Automated Solution to Resolve Cannot Start MS Outlook Error
There can be chances that the PST file which you are using got corrupted due to some virus attack. If the Outlook data file gets corrupted then it can be repaired using two options.
1. First is using an inbuilt repair utility in Outlook. Using this utility, users can remove the corruption of low level.
2. If the PST file has high-intensity corruption then the inbuilt tool does not work and you are left with an option to use an automated solution i.e. Outlook PST Recovery Tool. It can fix Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook error and corruption issues of PST file of any size.
After analyzing the issues faced by the users while using Microsoft Outlook. In this article, multiple solutions are provided in detail to resolve Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook error. The solutions include manual as well as the automated solution.